~About the Church~
First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta is a member of the PC USA denomination of Presbyterians. The church was founded in 1848 and moved to its present location in 1919.
The entire music program at the church has a long history and is well-developed. There is a graded choir program for children ranging in age from 3 all the way through high school. Other ensembles include both an adult and a youth bell choir, a brass ensemble and the adult Chancel choir. The choir includes paid soloists and has made numerous trips to Europe by invitation, including England and Wales, West Germany, Austria and Switzerland, two trips to the Czech Republic, an East German tour of the places where Bach lived and worked, and most recently a trip to France by invitation to sing at the 61st celebration of D-Day at Normandy Beach.
The church houses three organs in the sanctuary and the chapel. The sanctuary organ was built by Zimmer and houses 105 ranks. The chapel organ, built in Holland by Klop in 2006, is a 14 rank, and the portative organ is a 3½ rank. The church also owns a harpsichord made in Colorado in 1994 by Thomas Bailey, several Steinway pianos, and Whitechapel handbells. The bell tower houses a 4-octave instrument of 13 tons.